"Try them, you'll like them." Did your mother say those words when she wanted you to eat a certain vegetable? If you have children, do you say it too?
Well, I am saying to you "Try this recipe and you will like it". If you don't like brussels sprouts, you may change your mind after making Braised Brussels Sprouts Supreme.
Brussels sprouts get a bad name partly because of their strong flavor, but also because they are cooked in a boring way. This recipe is far from boring because it has the most interesting combination of ingredients that compliment the brussels sprouts. Braising instead of the traditional way of boiling brussels sprouts, brings out a sweeter, more mellow flavor of this vegetable.
This side dish is colorful and tasty, making it a great compliment to a special meal.
Braised Brussels Sprouts Supreme
1 pound brussels sprouts
1/2 cup diced pancetta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 shallot (minced)
A pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh thyme
2 heaping tablespoons sundried tomatoes in oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
salt to taste
1 tablespoon butter
Fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Wash brussels sprouts and remove old, outer leaves. Slice each one in half.
2. In a medium size skillet, cook diced pancetta in olive oil until brown and crispy. Remove pancetta but leave the grease in the pan.
3. In the same skillet, add carrots and shallots. Cook on medium high heat for about 2 minutes. Add brussels sprouts. Cook, turning occasionally until they brown slightly.
4. Put the thyme, lemon zest, pepper flakes, sundried tomatoes, chicken broth, and salt in the pan. Cook on medium high heat until the liquid has evaporated and the brussels sprouts are tender, but not mushy.
5. Remove the pan from heat and stir in butter. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Are you trying to add more vegetables to your diet? If you liked this recipe, you may enjoy the other Vegetable Recipes on my blog.Linking to:
Sweet Treats & Swanky Stuff, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Grace At Home, All My Friends Are Coming Over To Party, Hookin Up With HoH, Foodie Friday, Foodtastic Friday, Weekend Potluck, It's A HodgePodge Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, Pity Party, Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, Farmgirl Friday Blog Fest, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Saturday Nite Special, Think Pink Sunday, Scrumptious Sunday, Made From Scratch Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, My Meatless Monday, Mix It Up Monday, On The Menu Monday, Creative Inspirations, Tempt Me Tuesday, Talent Tuesday, Whole Food Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, What I Whipped Up Wednsday, Recipe Round Up